15. Bus depot


The wharf area next to South Bridge was home to G. Savage Builders Yard in the 1880’s, and was later part of Trenery’s Timber Yard. The Southernmost building dates from 1928, when the wharf became the site of the Daily Bread Bakery. In 1939, this was taken over by the York Brothers Bus Company which originated in Cogenhoe. They proceeded to modify the bakery to hold up to nine coaches which ran regular local services, private hires and special coach tours. In 1948 the company expanded and built the Northern building to hold more coaches. The company continued to run coaches out of the site until it was acquired by the Bowen travel group in 1997.

York Brothers garage in 1950. The original garage on the left, the post-war extension on the right.
One of York Brothers fleet pulls into the South Bridge depot (1957)
York Brothers fuel container and pump are still in yard today.